Drug Testing and Welfare

I love Facebook. Most the time.  There is a status that I just can’t stand. It is this one:

Thank you FLORIDA and KENTUCKY!! Florida and Kentucky are the first states that will require drug testing when applying for welfare, effective July 1st. Some people are crying this “unconstitutional” . How is this unconstitutional? It’s OK to drug test people who work for their money, but not those who don’t? Military is drug tested. Re-post this if you’d like to see this done in all 50 states!!!!

To me it is so demeaning. It is saying people in need are all drug-users or at least they are all dishonest.  I once had to get temporary help from the state when I had a problem pregnancy. I was on welfare for about 3 months, until my son was born and I went back to work.  And I called up and got of the roll. The caseworker at the time told me that what I was doing was common. People only take the help they need. Most people want to sustain themselves.

This idea that welfare is only for druggies or lazy people is nuts.  It is as much like people thinking if you get food stamps you must be unemployed.  I am underemployed at the moment, and I get a little bit of food stamps.  I do have a job. It just doesn’t pay much.

What really gets me going is the comments that follow the above status update.  I wonder if the writers of those comments have even needed a little extra hand? Or have they always had a job, food, and housing?  Have they ever had nowhere to go, and no way to get there anyway?

Today I feel justified in my stand against the drug testing for welfare debate.  The statics show that most people getting help do not use drugs.  Out of the drug testing that has been done in Florida, only 2%, yes I said TWO PERCENT of those tested have a positive drug result.  The other 98% have now to to wait for the state to reimburse them for the cost of the test.  So how did this help poor people, having them pay for a test they didn’t need, to prove something they already knew they didn’t do?

Take that you narrow-minded conservatives.

Advertisements

One thought on “Drug Testing and Welfare

  1. I really don’t like it. I really don’t like it with the private employers unless you are doing a job that might possibly endanger others (driving a bus, a pilot, doctor, nurse, etc.).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s